I was originally going to do two separate posts on these fine watches, the Casio G-Shock Glorious Gold GWM5625E and the Ocean Gray DW5025D---which I will henceforth refer to as the GG and the OG (the original gangsta on the G-Shock block) respectively. But it soon dawned upon me that this was a blessed opportunity to compare and contrast these two models that are similar yet entirely different. Perhaps someone out there wants to purchase one of these models but only one and is agonizing over the difficult decision. So hopefully I can help you make that painful choice like when someone asks a parent which of their children they love more and they say "oh but I love them equally" when they know full well that's not true.
So let's get out the brass tacks here starting with the construction of the watches. Both watches were created as 2008 limited edition models in celebration of 25 years of the Casio G-Shock but
if you look at the case back construction you will see that one is certainly more evocative of the original DW5000C (the first G-Shock).Some people may try to diminish the significance of the solid stainless steel case and screw back design found in the OG with the argument that both watches are equally rugged and perhaps that is true. But let me make this one thing patently clear. The GG feels like a toy on my wrist---like those toy cell phones that look real but only make sounds and dispense candy when you press the buttons . In contrast, the OG feels like a real watch---solid, heavy and ready to tell you what time it is whether you like it or not. The thickness of the OG screw back also seems to make the OG sit a little higher on the wrist and give it a f-off wrist presence (the comparative thickness I hope you can see in the next two photos as well as my Marshall amp).
So it seems then that the OG is like that mythic hero John Henry---old and outdated yet somehow still able to beat the new upstart machine. But now we get to the technological features of both watches and this here is where the GG covers lost ground.
The GG is both Multiband 5 and Tough Solar---meaning that it can connect to every atomic tower in the world except for the one in China and that it obtains its power from the Sun like Superman. On the other hand the OG has neither Multiband nor Tough Solar technology.
In the main time keeping screen the GG displays the day, date, time, RCVD (if it successfully connected to an atomic tower that day and adjusted the time accordingly), PS (if it is in power saving mode. more on that later), reserve power, and indicators for the alarm. The OG displays day, date, time, alarm indicators, and a little star burst symbol which indicates that, when present, the illuminator will flash twice on the hour.
The GG also has world time, stopwatch, 60 minute count down timer, 5 alarms, and an hourly signal. The OG has a slightly diminished feature set of one alarm, 24 hour count down timer, stopwatch, and hourly signal.
In order to counterbalance the drain on power imposed by its features the GG has a power saving mode where it will shut itself off until you press a button or expose it to bright light. If you are wearing your watch in dim lighting conditions or are wearing a long sleeve shirt that covers the watch this will cause it to go into PS mode---you may find this annoying. In which case go with the OG which is always on and ready (edit: or you can simply turn PS off).
Oh and let me also say that a kind reader requested that I post my wrist measurement after reading my last post on the SEIKO Orange Sumo.
Now, I mentioned previously that I am an English major and that I don't do numbers too well but for the sake of my readers I wrestled with a measuring tape, sweat pouring down my face and staining my shirt, fear and anxiety racking my body. And I finally found that I have a 7in wrist.
So I hope that this was an entertaining and informative read. Take care.
